White cotton voile, hand sewn handkerchief measuring 13″ by 13″.
Embroidered with DMC Coton a Broder #30 in white.
Not the neatest embroidery I’ve ever done, as I’d never worked with the fabric nor the thread before & I really just wanted to test out the process. The next will be much better, I’m sure.
I just finished embroidering my 18th century pocket and, since I’m waiting for the wool for my next project to arrive, I thought I’d be indulgent & embroider myself a nice handkerchief to use during our humid summers. I had ordered a couple of yards of white voile in December to use for chemises but there wasn’t enough length. After much debate, I decided it would be perfect and cut into it before I could change my mind.
This interim project presented me with a good opportunity to post another hand-stitching tutorial. Rolled hems are great for projects like handkerchiefs because they create a narrow hem with little bulk and a delicate appearance. They do feel a little tricky at first but as you work you’ll quickly get the hang of it, I promise.
To start, fold the edge of your fabric over desired amount (in my case, a little over a millimeter) and pinch between your fingers.
With your needle, pick up one to two strands of thread from the fabric right before the edge that’s been folded over.
Then insert the needle through two to three strands of thread from the fabric on the fold.
And just pull your needle and thread through and repeat!
I hope that makes sense. I’m crap at explaining instructions verbally since I’m a visual learner and so I tried to take photos that were fairly clear. Also, our gas company has been laying new pipe and jack-hammering three feet from my bedroom window for a week, so I’m running on pretty minimal sleep. If I’m not explaining this well, drop me a comment, I’ll take a nap & try to explain it better when cognition has returned.
Look what I got in the mail today! My cheapo modern machine just wasn’t cutting it in terms of sewing heavier fabrics and, so, Edgar bought me this 1922 Singer in exchange for a leather tool belt I’ve promised to make for him.
She’s a beauty, I think, even if she is a little rugged. All of her gears are as smooth as glass. I haven’t tried out the motor yet since I need to build a desk for her but I’ll mostly be using the hand-crank, either way. Motorized machines and I are not the best of friends so it’s nice to have a non-electrical option, especially if the zombies come a-knockin’.
Now, to just figure out a name . . .
I was really hoping to have my corset finished by the 3rd Historical Sew Fortnightly challenge deadline today but, alas, it’s been a bitch. The problem, I believe, is that my measurements don’t necessarily reflect my body shape and, thus, lots of wrinkles. I’m going to rip all of the good bits out, redraft it and start fresh with only a single layer and external boning. Hopefully, that will work a lot better and be a bit easier on my sewing machine.
I’m saving that for another day, however, when I’ve got a bit of patience back. For now, I’m working on the next challenge, which is “Embellish.” I prefer Victorian garb but I’ve become a bit enamored with 18th century pockets. I just hate carrying around a bag and since pockets in the 18th century were external accoutrement tied onto the clothing as opposed to carried, it works well for me. Plus, I needed a new sit-in-front-of-the-television project.
I’ve designed everything myself so I couldn’t say exactly how historically accurate it will end up being but the Danish Flower Thread is beautiful so it will have that going for it. The pencil lines throughout the drawing are just a way to keep track of what needs to be done each day to finish by deadline. It’s going to be a tight race.